In January, 2010, the Maine Department of Education awarded the Maine Alliance for Arts Education a grant to support the identification and encourage the use of Open Educational Resources (OERs) in the Visual and Performing Arts. OERs are free on-line or digitized materials that may be used by students and teachers for educational purposes. You can learn more about OERs here . MAAE's grant was one of nine subject area grants funded through Title IID Enhancing Education through Technology - American Recovery and Reinvestment Act (ARRA) Competitive Grant monies. Throughout 2010 MAAE worked with a talented group of teachers to identify resources and link them to Maine's Parameters for Essential Instruction for the Arts.
• Aroostook County: Jennifer Holmes, Elementary Music
• Cumberland County: Jim Horwich, High School Music
• Hancock County: Jennifer Trowbridge, Dance
• Kennebec County Sarah Sutter, High School Visual Art
• Mid-Coast Region Kristen Andersen, Middle School Visual Art
• Penquis Region: Bethany Hanson, Middle and High School Visual Art
• Washington County: Emmy Paquette, Elementary Visual Art
• Western Maine: Jim Perkins, Middle School Music
• York County: Kate Smith, Elementary Music
Organization Rep (MAEA): Beth Nowers, High School Visual Art
• High Ed Rep: Susan Picinich, Theater, University of Southern Maine
• Technology: Jan Kolenda, Technology Director, Maranacook Area Schools
In addition, the project has benefited from suggestions from Argy Nestor, Maine DOE’s Visual and Performing Arts Specialist; MaryEllen Schaper, Physical Education teacher at Bonnie Eagle High School; John Holdridge, Arts and Education Associate at the Maine Arts Commission; and Jason Bannister, English and Theater teacher at Troy Howard Middle School.
Our team identified a myriad of exciting and useful types of resources including lesson plans, student interactives, tutorials for arts based tools, videos and more. The Maine Department of Education is working to build a searchable database for all of the subject area OERs. In the meantime, we invite you to view and make use of our VPA OER lists separated by subject, grade level and/or performance indicator.
This continues to be a work in process. Please take a look at these resources, and let us know what you think by emailing Project Coordinator Sara Hougan at email@example.com. If you use other Open Education Resources in your classroom and think they should be included in this list, please click here to enter the information.